My girlfriend Tracy asked me about some of my favorite slow cooker recipes. I’m an avid fan of healthy, fresh Mexican, so my easy Chicken Fajita recipe came to mind. Many slow cooker recipes serve 6-8, and it’s always a struggle to get through the leftovers (I’m not a fan of eating leftovers more than once). So, I decided to make a chicken fajita quinoa bowl instead. Here are the recipes for the slow cooker chicken fajitas and chicken fajita quinoa bowl.
Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas
- 1 package of Trader Joe’s Pollo Asado (or 1 pound fajita seasoned chicken breasts)
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 can of kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 can of diced green chiles
Place all ingredients in a 4-6 quart slow cooker bowl. Stir together. Cook on LOW for 6-7 hours or HIGH for 3-4 hours . Top with your favorite ingredients (I like sliced avocado, low-fat Mexican-shredded cheese, low-fat sour cream or plain low-fat Greek Yogurt) and place in warm flour tortillas. Serve immediately.
Chicken Fajita Quinoa Bowl
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups slow-cooker chicken fajitas (recipe above)
- 1/2 cup low-fat plain Greek yogurt or low-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cup low-fat Mexican shredded cheese blend
- 1/2 cup chunky fresh salsa
- Siracha, to taste
Rinse quinoa in a sieve. Drain and transfer to a medium pot. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium low and simmer until water is absorbed, 15-20 minutes. Set aside; uncover and fluff with a fork.
Divide quinoa into two bowls. Add toppings and serve.