October 5, 2013
Tis’ the season for everything pumpkin, so I decided to make a healthy, low-fat pumpkin cream sauce.
- 4 cups uncooked Rigatoni pasta
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 1/4 – 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can of pumpkin
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon Siracha hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 5 leaves fresh sage, finely sliced
- Shaved Parmesan
Boil a pot of water and cook the rigatoni al dente. Set aside.
Heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic and saute until fragrant.
Add 1 1/4 cup chicken broth, canned pumpkin, low-fat milk and the Siracha. I like my sauce to be thick, but feel free to add more chicken broth (up to 2 cups) if you want a thinner sauce. Sprinkle the nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, and pepper.
Simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until desired consistency is reached.
While the sauce is simmering, heat the pre-cooked apple chicken sausage (I like the Trader Joe’s Smoked Apple, Chardonnay, Chicken Sausage) until warm.
Add the sliced chicken sausage and pumpkin sauce to rigatoni. Toss and top with freshly shaved Parmesan and garnish with sage.
Recipe originally adapted from: